Sunday, March 8, 2009

1994 & Jesus Birthday Cake

I never thought it would feel strange to be in my own house.
21 years, and I'm still back in the same room, the same white furniture with the same chipped golden handles.

I have a terrible knack for reminiscing when I'm home for breaks. I think of Christmas mornings. Attempting to fall asleep with my stomach dancing, anticipating a new sled, popcorn, singing happy birthday to Jesus over breakfast cinnamon rolls.

Biking with the neighbors singing the Monkees in the light of the lingering sunsets falling on our cul-de-sac.

Puppet shows with my little brother that inevitably ended in fighting.

Running barefoot around the lawn, my biggest concern stepping on thorns from our juniper trees.

I think the reason alot of people have kids is so that they can live vicariously through their kids' adventures. I have become more and more intrigued by the idea of adoption, especially if I end up being single. Too many kids are growing up with memories plagued by abuse and loneliness instead of Christmas presents and summer days accompanied by song tracks.

♥

No comments:

Post a Comment