I love camping (especially in Canada). So it surprised me when I was sitting by a campfire Friday night at Bald River Falls in TN, and felt lonely. Everyone else was either snuggled in their tents or stargazing and I was left (by my own will) to tend the fire by myself.I watched the movie Into the Wild a few weeks ago (if you haven't seen it, do). Based on a true story, the ambitious Christopher McCandless graduates from college, sells his possessions, buys some gear, and heads into the "unknown" - first across America and then to his ultimate destination, Alaska. He spends 112 days alone in the wildnerness before eventually dying of starvation/food poisoning.
Although he spends much of the movie trying to get away from it all, at a crucial point during his adventure he decides he wants to leave his Alaskan habitation and return to civilization. Unfortunately, it is here that he realizes he is trapped by a flooded river, and dies tragically a few months later.
Even in the short time I spent by the fire that night, I thought of and sympathized with McCandless. Being alone with only a small fire as company, it was hard to find peace. I wanted friends there, but I couldn't just make people and relationships appear.

I think that's what is so powerful about society. All the work and play and work again and love and heartbreak and memories and loss are all part of our underlying desire to be in relationship with both God and other people.
I love camping, but I also admit that I love the connections that advanced society has created to allow engagement with people at any time I feel lonely.
♥

The movie was very moving in the way it told a very human story. It managed to balance the loneliness of his experience with the greatness of the human spirit and the love of his friends and family.
ReplyDelete